php4 bug ? 'Warning: .. registration failed - duplicate name"

I have a tough time asking for help, but but with this problem I am having, I am leaning towards submitting this as a debian bug in compiling/packaging of php4. On potato, mysql 3.22.32, php4 4.0.3pl1-0 + mysql module, phplib 7.3dev-3.1. When I try to open a database via php, I now get a spew of 'duplicate name' errors with the functions. I've heard from those that prefer to roll-their-own that this is a result of compiling mysql support directly into php and also loading it as a module. But than again, that is just what I heard and I am not a good enough programmer to compile anything but the kernel.

Has anyone else had this problem before I start my compiling fun ?

*Warning*:  Function registration failed - duplicate name - mysql_connect in */var/www/config.php3* on line *23*

*Warning*:  Function registration failed - duplicate name - mysql_pconnect in */var/www/config.php3* on line *23*

*Warning*:  Function registration failed - duplicate name - mysql_close in */var/www/config.php3* on line *23*

*Warning*:  Function registration failed - duplicate name - mysql_select_db in */var/www/config.php3* on line *23*

*Warning*:  Function registration failed - duplicate name - mysql_create_db in */var/www/config.php3* on line *23*
--
    Jason Harris
jharris@esd.wa.gov