Re: GeForce3 -- revisited

On Thu, 2001-09-27 at 22:02, uid0@catastrophe.net wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been trying to get my nvidia geforce3 to work here for quite some
> time now. I was able to upgrade to the latest release of XFree86, but ti
> seems like there may be some package problems (?)
>
> here's what I have on this machine...
>
> unruly:~# dpkg -l | egrep ^'ii  xser'
> ii  xserver-common 4.1.0-5        files and utilities common to all X servers
> ii  xserver-common 3.3.6-38       files and utilities common to XFree86 3.x X
> ii  xserver-svga   3.3.6-38       X server for SVGA graphics cards
> ii  xserver-vga16  3.3.6-11potato X server for VGA graphics cards
>
> unruly:~# dpkg -l | egrep ^'ii  xfree'
> ii  xfree86-common 4.1.0-5        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
>

> So far I've not been able to get the nvidia card to work in anything but
> 320x204 mode (ugh) and it's getting discouraging.
>
> Can anyone help? i haven't installed the drivers from nvidia yet, I was
> hoping to only do that after I know it works in the standard 8bit mode
> or whatever.

You're probably using the xserver-svga or xserver-vga16 servers. For
full compatibility with X series 4, do:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86

Then configure X to use the "nv" module. This will give you the new(er)
modules-based one-size-fits-all X server. Your new /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
should contain a section that reads something like:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "RIVA TNT"
    Driver      "nvidia"
#   Driver      "nv"  # if you want the included free X4 driver

--
Neo:
I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is