Making a wheel mouse behave

Is there an option to make the wheel in (what else) a wheel mouse behave
like the middle button in a conventional mouse? A "friend" bought an
optical mouse which unfortunately has this feature. I know about the
chopsticks emulation, but I'm just wondering if instead of senseless
scrolling I can get the wheel to do one-finger select and paste.

--
Neo:
I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is