Re: install package from an user

* Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) [010925 07:51]:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:40:19AM +0200, LAMIRAULT Nicolas wrote:
> > when i use RedHat, i install some applications from the source file
> > (tar.gz) in my home directory.
> > Is it possible with Debian to install in my home directory some debian
> > package (.deb) ?
>
> You can unpack a .deb with 'dpkg -x foo.deb <some directory>'. There's
> no way to get full-scale per-user package management with dpkg yet.

Well, you *could* grab the base2 tarball and unpack that in your home,
and then use dpkg's --root --admindir and/or --instdir options, but
unless you're really looking to have a debian-within-debian system, it's
overkill, and doesn't really gain you anything. Package management is
nice for a whole system, but I've never seen the case where it's worth
implementing within a home directory (except for something like a
chrooted /home/sandbox, which isn't really someone's home directory).

so, OP, follow others' advice and install from source as you would have
done under redhat (except that you have much more convenient access to
the source of many many applications already, look into "apt-get source
<packagename>").

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.