moving to reiserfs/libc6

Hello Debusers.

As I allready posted before, I'm trying to get a reiserfs to work on a
production system.
Problem is, that I have to upgrade the libc6 for reiserfsprogs to
operate -I guess- because the dependencies say so. The reiserfsprogs did
install properly though, just with the remark about a newer libc6
version required...

I fear that step. And before making it, I'd like to make an image -better
mirror- of my root-partition, fiddle with lilo, and make it bootable, so
that I can resume work if anything should fail...

How to do this efficiently?

thanks,
Gerald.