HELP!!!! my boxen is broken

Help all! Help for a borked boxen!

I ran apt-get upgrade to the latest unstable version. All was going ok until the
install phase where
everything seems to have gone wrong.

>From what I can gather, the whole problem seems to lie around libc6, most
packages that won't install
say something along the lines of:

<package>: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7) but 2.1.3-18 is to be installed

According to dselect, the version to be installed is 2.2.4-2, but as it says,
2.1.3-18 is already installed.

I assume that maybe if I removed 2.1.3-18, then this may solve my problem, but I
thought I would
ask someone first....

also, when I try to run something like man, I get the following message:

man: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by /lib/libdb.so.3)

is this all part and parcel of the same thing???

I'm hoping someone out there can help me here!

--
Stuart