Re: Select/copy/paste using keyboard in X

Curt Daugaard wrote:

> A well-known alternative OS allows one to select using shift/cntl
> + arrow keys within compliant applications, then cut with cntl-x,
> copy with cntl-c, and paste with cntl-v.  Is there anyway to set
> this up under X?  From the man pages and the X-windows FAQ, it
> looks like the mouse is the only choice.

  it depends on application.

  some application let you select text without moving cursor, in that
case you can only use mouse (that's the usual way to do it in xterm).
Generally I prefer that way because you don't have to move the cursor
between where selection is and where the insertion point is (if in the
same window) and you don't have to aim exactly where you want the text
inserted (you just middle click into window and it's inserted where the
cursor is). it's a matter of personal preference.

  some applications use shift-arrows and ctrl-x/ctrl-v/ctrl-c just like
some other OSs, usually you can see keyboard shortcuts in Edit menu.

  note that the clipboard is not a single 'thingy' but a structured
'thingy'. If you select a piece of text and it is not pasted into
another application, try to use xcutsel program (there are only two
buttons, so try one, then another). there are some programs that let you
manipulate all the clipboards but I don't remember the names (xcutsel is
sufficient for what I do so I haven't looked too much).

	erik