[OT] ide-scsi (used as a module) broken in 2.4.10

Someone was asking about 2.4.10 recently.  Here's what I stumbled on.

Just a warning that when using ide-scsi as a module in 2.4.10,
the file /proc/partitions is broken (it cats forever on my
system).  Perhaps this wouldn't be important except that I use
win4lin and it's boot-up script greps this file and hangs
forever, eating up all the CPU.

It appears to be a known issue.
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/kernel-newsflash.html#2.4-series
says:

 The latest official kernel is 2.4.10

  The SCSI partition handling code appears to be broken, and
  sometimes causes commands like mount -a to hang. Also, a pile of
  experimental, undocumented VM changes were applied, so be
  wary. The recommended compiler is now gcc-2.95.3, rather than
  gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2).

So I guess I hit that bug.  Works okay with ide-scsi compiled-in.

Peter