Re: Unix password config

Hi,

I probably should have explained myself a little better.  :)
The purpose of the password changing is for a Samba lab.
I didn't realize at first that I had to edit the smb.conf
to allow smaller smb passwords.
and I believe that when a user changes their smbpasswd,
the passwd command that gets invoked from smb.conf is run as root
and therefore their unix password can be whatever.

I agree with you in *not* having whimpy small passwords on linux.
However, I have one lab where there are students from grade 7 and younger.
Some of them can't even spell their name.(The real young ones)
So, I end up using usernames and passwords with only 3 characters.
However, in some of the high schools, I definetly must use good security
to maintain the labs. Some of these kids now adays are pretty sneaky.

I like the idea of your pwgen. I shall look into this more.

Thanks
Mike