Debian 2.2r3 apt-get & dselect -> testing

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting onto this list.  I don't know if this
question is best directed to user-dpkg.  Regardless, I will try asking
here first.

My colleague and I have been installing Debian 2.2rx onto several
computers built by my colleague and I.  We prefer using G200 video cards
but unfortunately Matrox insists on discontinuing their earlier products.
We can no longer obtain G200 or G400 video cards and are forced to
purchase other cards not supported by the X in Debian 2.2r3.  Therefore, I
am considering the installing XFree864.1.x on potato but I don't want to
break apt-get or dselect.  We have tried pointing apt-get to the testing
packages, but then We end up upgrading other packages as well.  I have
also installed Debian without X and then I downloaded XFree 4.1.0 tarballs
and installed X that way.  However, apt-get and dselect no long know about
XFree86.

Is there any way, I can keep potato and just update the XFree to 4.1.0
from the testing packages.  I still want dselect and apt-get to be aware
of the packages and be in sync.

Your assistance will be greately appreciated.

Jaime Avila
University of Southern California
Department of Chemistry

             #####
            #######                 ,           ,
            #  #  #  D e b i a n   /             \
            #" #" #   L i n u x   ((__-^^-,-^^-__))
     ++++++#       #++++++             GNU's Not Unix!