Re: restarting a daemon

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:48:12PM -0400, Giulio Morgan wrote:
| I am trying to modify and "reload" my exim.conf file. The beginning of the
| sample conf file says "...you change Exim's configuration file, you *must*
| remember to HUP the Exim daemon". I am unable to determine how to HUP a daemon
| without rebooting. Any help will be appreciated, thank you so much.

To follow those directions use :

    kill -HUP `pidof exim`

If the daemon is run at boot time you can use

    /etc/init.d/exim restart

to restart it.  Sending a signal ("HUP it") is better if you don't
want _any_ downtime.  Restarting it via the initscript causes the
service to be down in between the stop and start.

-D