Re: ext3 on install

Eduard Bloch wrote:

> Well, we do allready have patch-package for 2.2.19 and 2.4.9 and
> kernel-image-2.2.19-udma100-ext3 in Woody. The stuff may not be in the
> kernel source itself, but applying a patch-package is quite easy.

It's easy if you're used to building your own kernels and applying
patches to sources, but I'm sure there are a lot of less-technical users
who would prefer to use the standard kernel-image packages. If these
packages don't have ext3, those users are effectively out of luck.

Also, remember that the original question had to do with setting up ext3
filesystems at installation time, which you can't do if the kernel image
on the installation CD doesn't support ext3. Sure, you can convert ext2
to ext3 after installation, once you have an ext3-enabled kernel, but it
really would be nice not to have to go through that extra step. New users
shouldn't have to think of ext3 as something that requires extra work on
their part.

That said, I'm sure many people are making use of the ext3 patch
packages, and it's great that we have them. I don't use them myself only
because I don't use Debian-packaged kernel sources; I use Linus'
official releases together with the ext3 patches created by the ext3
developers.

Craig