Newbie Questions, Performance and security...

Hello there! I'm fairly new to linux and debian, and would like to know a
few things...

I have a couple of redhat internet servers, but I like debian concept and
package management so much that I would like to start using debian for
servers... I have used debian distro (libranet) for quite a while and it's
my favorite for destop....

My questions: Will I be in the safe side if I decide to use debian for an
internet server to serve web/mail/servlets/php/mysql and stuff like that
as far as performance and security goes? compared to a redhat system?

One thing I noticed on this new debian system I just installed is that to
connect to the box by ssh it takes like 2 minutes to get connected over
the lan, where if I try ssh to one of the redhat ones I have here it is
instantly connected, both have the same network cards and the debian
machine is a pIII 450, the redhat is a p 200....

Can someone also point me out to where to get the right apt sources to go
to woody and sid???

Thanks in advance!