[NuBe:] frozen keyboard

Yesterday, I was updating a fresh install to testing. When asked what to do about the newer config files, I made the fool-hearted assumption that since it was a brand new install with all defaulted configurations, that these newer configs would be safe if not better choices. Soon after saying yes to the PAM package's configs my keyboard stopped accepting input (though the keyboard works fine to enter BIOS or from a boot disk, which makes sense).

I found a few mentions of similar problems after a couple googles, including the ability to log in via Telnet after such occurrences, yet I had yet to install ssh. Any suggestions?

-----
droyd

 "An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind."  - Mahatma Gandhi