Re: Fax / Modem question.

On Sun, 2001-09-23 at 22:29, Kieren Diment wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum, to ask this, but here goes.
>
> I'm happily using mgetty to send faxs out, but I need to receive the
> occasional fax as well.  I can't have the modem auto-answer, as this
> would disrupt the separate voicemail system, so I need to be able to
> type in a command or whatever to tell mgetty to start receiving a fax,
> once I have determined that it is a fax machine on the other end.
>
> Can anyone explain how to do this?

Perhaps you could try this option from the man pages (I googled it since
I don't have the package and you may not have this option)

-R <t> Tells
mgetty to go into "ringback" (aka "ringtwice") mode. That means: the
first call is never answered, instead the caller has to hang up after
the phone RINGs, wait 30 seconds, and then call again in the next <t>
seconds for mgetty to pick up. If no call comes, mgetty will exit.

Or if you can echo commands to the modem while mgetty has the device
open just echo ata to the modem device and it should pick up.

--mike