Re: time sync probs

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:19:54PM -0700, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought I would try and sync my potato server
> to an internet time server, so I installed ntp, edited
> the /etc/ntp.conf file:
>
> server 192.5.41.209
>
> I then restart the ntp daemon and noticed my date never changed.
> However, earlier, I used ntpdate to sync with that time server
> and it worked. (I make sure both aren't running at the same time)
>
> Is there a part of the ntp daemon that I'm missing?
> Any help would be great!!

Have you tried running ntp recently?  Often the time difference is too
great for ntp to sync initially.  After you run ntpdate and sync up with
the time server then ntp can do it's work.
hth,
kent

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
   same level of thinking we were at when we created them."