Re: dynamic ip addresses

--- Christy Schulte <cs006624@tampabay.rr.com> (2001-09-24 09:50):
> I sent out an earlier message about setting up ddclient, but since no one
> responded I'm assuming no one uses this particular program.
>
> So here's a more general question. Do any of you have dynamic ip addresses
> and have something running to assign a static hostname, so the system can be
> connected to remotely without knowing the ip address? If so, what do you use
> to do this? thanks.

I use dyndns.org, but I use the client program called ez-ipupdate.  So
far I've had no problems with it.  It runs as a daemon and updates
your dyndns information whenever your ip address changes.

Unfortunately its not packaged for Potato, although I downloaded
the tar.gz file and compiled it with no problems.  The only tricky
part was getting the init.d script set up so that it starts on login,
but I cheated a little with that and just copied the file from a woody
box, and modified the $NAME variable to use /usr/local/bin instead of
/usr/bin.  I can send you my file if you want, or you could just
download the woody package of ez-ipupdate and extract the file
yourself.

HTH,
Sean

--