Weird network setup problem

I've got a very strange problem I've never encountered before. I've been
setting up a new machine with Debian 2.2r3 from the CDs. Install went without a
hitch. 3c509B card installed fine. Logged in as root after reboot to do post-
install config and updating.

Turns out there appears to be no network connectivity. There is a link light on
the hub - but I replugged the cables just to be sure - even swapped the cable
for one I *know* is ok. Same problem. Ran ifconfig - everything appears normal.
eth0 is up and has IP: 192.168.0.3 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 GW: 192.168.0.1.
(I've just remembered I've not looked at the routing table - but that shouldn't
matter!). Can ping 127.0.0.1 just fine. Can ping 192.168.0.3 just fine. Try and
ping anything else - just doesn't want to know. Nothing else can ping it either.

Have I done something daft? I've set up loads of other Debian boxen - so I
don't think it's a newbie fault. Any suggestions would be most welcome cos I'm
flumoxed (what a wonderful word :)

Cheers,

Andrew Pritchard,
Whether you think you can,