Re: Cable on Linux

On Sun, 2001-09-23 at 13:34, Reza wrote:
> hi...
> Actually I got static IP from rogers, but the weird
> thing is instead of having clientd-id as my hostname,
> I got my computer name in the host.. so, can you
> please help me in details?

So you actually call if-up with static in the /etc/interfaces file?

If thats the case you're going to set your /etc/hostname to the one they
gave you and make sure /etc/hosts has aliases to whatever name you want
to call your machine locally.

127.0.0.1	theirname whateveryouwant

If it's a "static" ip from dhcp protocol then you are going to need to
add an option in your /etc/network/interfaces file to the effect of:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hostname whateveryouwant

--mike