Re: help please - kppp connection wont work

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 05:38:29AM +0000, todd mansill wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have an urgent problem and I need some help please:
>
> I can't get kppp to work - when I try to connect I get the following
> error message in the log window:
>
> The remote server is required to authenticate itself but I couldn't
> find any suitable secret(password) for it to use to do so.  (None of
> the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)
>
> How do I fix this problem - I am very new to this please help.
>
> Thanks heaps Todd

You are asking the remote server to login (authenticate itself) to your
system.  It won't.

Not being familiar with kppp I am unable to point you to which tab you
click on but you should be able to achieve what you want by editing
/etc/ppp/peers/provider.  You may have given your own name for
`provider'.

The option you want is noauth.  Put this in the file.  The default in
/etc/ppp/options is auth but you do not want to alter this.

Read man pppd and search the Debian mailing lists for more information.
If you haven't already done so investigate using pppconfig as an
alternative to kppp to set up a dialup connection.  Personally, it is
what I would use.

Brian.