Re: bridges and routers

also sprach Andres Seco Hernandez (on Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:53:14AM +0200):
> Thanks for that big explanation.

no prob. it was about time i did some research again to freshen up my
own perception of the concepts... :)

> As i said in the project web page, "interface between IP services and GSM
> messaging", so, i thought that a gateway was a good definition.

well, it should be IP to SMS services though, because as far as i can
tell, GSM is more like Ethernet than IP. i may well be wrong here.

> Anyway, i didn't knew about gateway as a deprecated term. Well, i think it
> does not matter a lot.

it is deprecated in the first version, but not in the definition that
you are using. so you are okay.

> About bridging, i do not worry about ethernet or gsm stuff, so i think it
> has less of bridge and more of "protocol converter" or gateway. I use
> other lowlevel programs to use them. Alamin uses TCP in one side and SMS
> at the other.

yes, in that way you are right. sorry to have been doubting this. it
gave for a good discussion, no?

*** closing link: disconnecting from stoned server.