Re: disk partitioning problems

On Friday, September 21, 2001 6:56 AM, duncanssmith@hotmail.com wrote:

> [...] I have tried  to partition my new 40GB drive using fdisk in DOS,
> [...]
> With fdisk I can create a primary DOS partition, and a number of further
> extended and logical partitions, that, when formatted in DOS produce disk
> drives labelled D:, E:, F:, G: etc.

If you use fdisk, only create one primary partition.  Do not create
any additional partitions from fdisk.  It only understands things
Microsofty.  Leave the rest of the space free.

> Using cfdisk, only 2GB of the new disk seems to be available, and I can
> create a primary DOS partition quite easily, or a Linux partition, with
> extended and logical partitions; however, I don't seem to be able to gain
> access to the rest of the diskspace.

If your hardware is fairly recent, you should be able to enable large
disk support from your bios setup.  You should enable logical block
support at least, but check your mainboard manual or mfgr website.
You may want to post the details of your mainboard and HDD if
you can't get it working.

Logical partition is a MS-only term  AFAIK.  You will be creating
primary and extended partitions for Linux.  The extended partition
concept is just a way to work around the limitations of the original
PC partition table format.  Primary vs. extended doesn't make any
real difference to Linux.  Just know that if your total number of
partitions is greater than 4, you cannot have more than 3 primary
partitions (the 4th is used to create the extended partitions).

Also, depending on your HW, you might want to create a very
small partition for /boot as your first primary partition--just in case
your system cannot boot a second partition in the presence of
a 10Gb first partition.

Take care,
  -=greg