How do I make the new image load my nic mods on boot up?

ok. Just to make things easy I only upgraded from 2.2.29pre-17-compact
to 2.2.19.  Everything was painless except that on boot up the drivers
for my 3com nic cards don't automatically load as they did with
...pre17-compact.  I sort of assume they load from a file in
/etc/init.d/  Searching google I get the idea that kerneld is the script
that loads them but looking at the script I don't really see
how it would load them from the compact image and not the 2.2.19 image.

I know I could put a script in there telling them to
load, but I would like to find out the right way of course