Re: X v4.1.0 broke

On Wednesday Sep 19 04:20 Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:

> ** I just upgraded XWindows to v4.1.0, and it's broke.  startx renders a
> ** black screen, and everything freezes.  I'm running on a Gateway Solo 2500,
> ** which uses the NeoMagic chipset.  Previous versions of X have worked fine
> ** at 1024x768 16bpp.
> **
> ** Following is my XFree86.0.log file.  If anyone can help out, I'd really
> ** appreciate it.  I've searched the net and tried various chatrooms with no
> ** results.
<snip>
> ** (WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs

Don't know if it has to do with your x crasch. This is the only bad entry
in your XFree86.0.log i saw. (WW) means a warning and must not be the
cause for your hanging X. I use X4.1 too and have no such problems. And
i don't have a log entry like this in my XFree86.0.log. Don't know really
what you have to do. The only i can say is, that MTRR support is a part
of kernel. Which kernel do you use? May be possible you have to upgrade to
a newer version.

Timo

--
Nothing is impossible!