Re: dri after upgrade to Xfree 4.1.0 doesn't work

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 06:21:51PM +0200, Peter De Wachter wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Sven Garbade wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to complete my previous posting. After upgrading from Xfree 402
> > to Xfree 410 the error log shows the following:
> >
> > (EE) MGA(0): [dri] MGADRIScreenInit failed because of a version
> > mismatch.
> > [dri] mga.o kernel module version is 2.0.1 but version 3.0.x is needed.
> > [dri] Disabling DRI.
> >
> > Seems I've got the wrong mga.o. But why?
> >
> > By, Sven
>
> I had the same problem. Compiling agpart and mga DRI into the kernel
> (version 2.4.9) magically fixed the problem. If anyone can explain this,
> please do so ;)
>
> Peter De Wachter

Unless I'm mistaken, the drm changed for X4.1. Kernel-2.4.9 has the right version for the newer X. In the 2.4.8-ac series there was the option to compile the newer drivers for 4.1, or stick with the older ones from 4.0.x. In the released version of 2.4.9, you lost the choice. A month or two ago, someone had a similar problem, just reversed: he had the newer kernel and the older X. After upgrading the X, it was clear sailing.

HTH.

Eamon Roque.