Re: .config in kernel source?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 02:42:48PM -0300, Alejandro Diego Garin wrote:
> I have downloaded the kernel-source-2.4.9 and I couldn't find the debain
> .config file for this version of the kernel. Is debian giving the configure
> options used in the kernel-compilation ? I need to do some changes and want
> to keep the debian options...

The config file does not come with the package (although perhaps it should).
It is generated by make config... but of course you will have to go through
everything the first time through and configure things the way you like.

Customizing the kernel to your own machine does have it's advantages though.
The resulting kernel will be smaller, faster, and more secure. And once you
do it once you can just copy over your .config file each time you do a kernel
upgrade... except perhaps between major releases.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the
task completely overwhelm me."  - Ashleigh Brilliant