Hi All

I am trying to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.3 to 2.4.9.  Everything seems
okay, _except_ I have no sound and no network (both work fine with
2.4.3).  As best as I can tell, the my compilation options are the same
(or very similar) in both versions.

The sound I can tackle later, but the lack of a network is real pain.

What I have found is that I can not load the modues ds or i82365 (and
hence my network card driver: 3c589_cs).  When I try to probe them or
insmod them I get an error "init_module: can not load" (sorry, I don't
have the exact text) with the suggestion that I check my ports and IO
settings.

Where do I do this?  I am not setting them in /etc/modutils or
/etc/modules.conf--I never had to with 2.4.3.
 The only thing I can think of
is that it is something to do with initrd--whatever that is!

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Advice/help would be most
welcome
.

thanks

Richard