kde font problem

I seem to be having a problem with fonts in kde.

I had a certain selection of fonts available in kde.

then i installed a package of fonts with apt.

then I saw a completely different set of available fonts in kde -
ie, all the previously available fonts were no longer available.
But the new package i installed did not replace any packages.

i added another font package and still another unique set of fonts
are now available.

So now i just have a bunch of obscure serif fonts available which
are impossible to read.

What is the mechanism to point kde to see all of the available
fonts on my system, and not just the most recently installed set of
them?

thanks,
jason
jason@pepas.com