Re: Well that didn't work - Upgrading Woody from 2.2.19 to 2.4.9

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:14:40PM -0600, John Purser wrote:
> Thanks for responding.
>
> No, I don't have a boot floppy though I think I might be able to make one
> from the installation CD's.

	Do you know the partition where your root filesystem is located? If you
do, you can boot the installation CD or disk 1, and type at the boot: prompt,
type 'rescue root=/dev/hdxx' where hdxx is the root partition. This will boot
your existing system using the kernel on the rescue disk/CD. If you don't know
which is the root partition, boot the rescue system as normal, and at the first
installation screen, hit Alt-F2 to switch to another console, and run 'cfdisk
/dev/hda' to see your partition table.

> I do appreciate the help.  The help I've received from the mailing list is
> one thing that puts Debian way ahead of the rest.

That's 50% of the reason I subscribed. I usually learn something even while
answering someone else's question.

HTH,
-Mike
--