Well that didn't work - Upgrading Woody from 2.2.19 to 2.4.9

Hello,

I ran:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.9-686

At this point I got a warning to add this line to my /etc/lilo.conf
initrd=/boot/initrd

I did and ran:

lilo
apt-get install kernel-image2.4.9-686

And rebooted.

Now it hangs during boot with this message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02

This a test machine so I don't mind blowing it away and re-installing woody
again if I have to but is there another way?  And what are the steps
necessary to upgrading to 2.4 on woody?  I've seen the .deb for upgrading
potato to 2.4, should I have used that?

Thanks,

John Purser