Re: How to get packages via a Windows box

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 06:26:23AM -0500, Gary Setter wrote:
> I've installed the base Debian system as a dual with MS Windows.
> I want to install X-Window from the Debian web site. The lab
> where I'm 'working' has a DSL connection, however, I can only get
> it to work with Windows.  Currently, I'm downloading files via
> IE to the Dos partition, rebooting to Linux and finishing the
> install there. For small stuff, I can tolerate this. For
> X-window, I need to do something better.
>
> I've been trying to setup a network connection on the Linux side
> via pppoe, but I have no support here and it looks like a dead
> end.
>
> I'm thinking of a Windows version of atp-get. If I had that, I
> could bring down all the packages for X-window  create a local
> mirror on my dos partition and then run atp-get under Linux
>  this time the local mirror is
> my source).
>
> Has this been done before? Are there binaries I can grab? Do you
> have any helpful suggestions?

If you're running Woody or Unstable, the easiest is the --print-uris option of
apt-get. I use this for example:

$ apt-get install aspell --assume-yes --print-uris | sed s/\'//g | grep http | cut -f 1 -d " "

This gives me a list like this:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/aspell/aspell_0.32.6-3.4_i386.deb
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/aspell/libaspell8_0.32.6-3.4_i386.deb
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libt/libtool/libltdl3_1.4b-2_i386.deb
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pspell/libpspell2_0.11.2-2.5_i386.deb

There is a script on vim.sf.net to convert this to GetRight whatever files. And
you do get wget for windows.