Re: OT: DSL Providers

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:18:03AM -0700, allen wayne best just ramblin in his amx wrote:

> has any one have any experience with a dsl provider in the san francisco
> (south bay) area that doesn't immediately go catatonic if the os is not from
> the great Satan of the northwest?????

I am fairly certain that speakeasy.net provides service in San
Francisco.  I highly recommend them.  They're not the cheapest you'll
find, but they will happiliy give you static IP addressses, DNS entries
(including reverse) and they are entirely server friendly (in fact, they
often encourage servers, saying that it allows you to contribute to the
internet community or something like that).  They also have no problems
with non Microsoft operating systems.  They'll also give you access to a
Linux shell server.

I have not had to deal with their customer support in the year that I've
been with them.  Apparently, with the demise of so many large DSL
providers, their support has become overloaded so the response time
isn't as good as it once was.

One thing that many people balk at is the 1 year service agreement you
need to sign when getting DSL.  If you cancel before that term is up,
they bill you $250.  Of course, that is waived if, for some reason, they
can't provide you with the service you signed up for.  But I can't
imagine why you'd cancel.

noah