The X11 Nightmare is over: from potato to woody back to potato

Uh-oh:

OK, I did it! I have screwed my potato for a broken woody!
The "upgrade" took hours due to updating (all?) kde packages.
And then kaboom: the X11 did not work (and neither xf86setup).
Thus -cmiiw-, I follow the MickeySoft approach, i.e.
reinstall from scratch: it took me about 3 hours.

Question: considering the time for upgrading the kde
packages; was it a right choice to reinstall; or were
(are) there other ways to overcome this problem?

The kde2 window session did not appear in the kdm menu.
Therefore I restored the kdm default settings.

Question: may I know in which kde package, the kde2 window
manager is? In general, may I know how to "search" to
content of a debian package?

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org