Re: Setting tab length universally

on Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 03:30:46PM +1000, Andrew Sione Taumoefolau (bepempire@optusnet.com.au) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if there was some method of universally setting tab
> width. I find eight spaces a bit too much, and although I have found
> methods of changing it in some applications, it'd be nice if I could
> change it in one place and never have to worry about it again. Advice or
> pointers to some Ms to Fing R would be much appreciated :).

Leave your tabs alone (no one setting is universal to all apps) and
instead set your tabstops as preferred.  E.g.:  tabstops=4 in vim will
give me a 4-space indent.  If I have noexpandtabs set, one tabstop is 4
spaces, two tabstops is a tab.  With expandtabs set, all tabs become
spaces.

Use another means to achieve uniform document/file appearance.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org