Re: startx immediately after console login

also sprach Rob VanFleet (on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:55:58AM -0500):
> I also tried the method of calling startx that automatically logs you
> out of the console, i.e.:
>
> 	startx -- :1 1>.startx.log 2>&1 &  exit
>
> which does log me out of the console, but also doesn't bring up x (it
> seems like it is about do, and then dies before actually taking over the
> display.

well, consider two things:

you could startx in a screen session, then log out, screen would live
on until X stops

and the other thing, if you are running xscreensaver with a password,
and you started from the console regularly, i can go to that console,
do ^Z and `bg`, do my stuff as *you*, and the `clear && fg` to go out
unnoticed. keep that in mind.

"driving with a destination
 is like having sex to have children"
                                             -- backwater wayne miller