Re: how to change the default mta?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 07:29:29PM +0800, Rino Mardo wrote:
> i have debian2.2r0 and using exim.  how can i change the default mta
> to postfix?  i will be installing postfix from sources and doing "dpkg
> -r exim" won't allow me to remove exim.

If you're OK with building postfix from the Debianized source, you
can use apt to manage it just like any other package.  The dependency
system then knows what's going on and all is good.

If you don't want to use the Debian source, you'll need to install
the equivs package.  equivs will allow you to create a my-postfix
pseudopackage which provides mta (and whatever else), thus allowing
you to remove exim.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox