Perl problem in Debian Linux?

 Hi:

   I appear to have a problem getting glob or the operator <*>
   to work in Debian Linux. The examples from Learning Perl
   by Schwartz and Christiansen (2nd edn) do not work
   as given. I do the same
   program from the command line with perl -e ' ....' they work. Also
   perl -c does not find any problems with the syntax.

   I am using perl 5.6.1 with woody (kernel 2.2.15) with bash as my
   shell. When I run the
   debugger with perl -d ... each line is executed fine.

   What am I doing wrong?

   Just to give you an example lines like

   foreach (<*>){
     print "$_\n";