Compiling kernels - choosing options

Hi all,

Whenever I have compiled a kernel - twice so far on Debian, many times
on Slackware - I've struck this issue.

There are several features of a kernel that are expected to be
configured a particular way for a particular distribution.

For example, proc fs support, UNIX98 ptys or whatever they're called,
whether parallel printer support should be a module or not.

Does Debian (or any distro for that matter) have documents on this? Is
the config file in the kernel source package preconfigured with these
defaults?

Or do I just have to do lots of research myself before I start to make
sure I get a kernel that will function properly with my system?

Thanks,

Richard