Re: epson stylus 600 setup problem

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Ron Farrer wrote:

> Dale Morris (dlm@well.com) wrote:
>
> > When I do that I get the following:
> > [root@lymond]#adduser dlm lp
> > The user `dlm' is already a member of lp.
> > [root@lymond]#
> >
> > that's what's so frustrating..
>
> Does it give the same error if you do:
> echo test > /dev/lp0
> as root? If so, then printer support is not enabled in the kernel.

root@lymond /home/dlm/turboprint_1_43#echo test > /dev/lp0
bash: /dev/lp0: No such device

..sigh.. I just reconfigured the kernel. Any specific settings that I
may have missed in kernel configuration? But the confusing thing is that
dmesg shows I have a printer..

PCI: Using IRQ router default [1022/7006] at 00:00.0
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Starting kswapd v1.8
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(18)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(18)
parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 600
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled

What now, should I reconfigure the kernel again? I have the parport
support built into the kernel, not made as a module. It has always
worked before this way, but maybe there is a security script that has
changed something.

thanks for all your help
dale