Re: Which are the network .deb-s of Debian GNU/Linux ?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 09:45:03PM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
> I understand that there are certain  .deb-s that :
> 1) make your Linux box a router (I want him\her to at least identify on being ping-ed
> by others on the network , and accept telnet and ftp connections) .

First off, as far as Debian goes these are 4 different tasks,
which you can install or remove separately.

A. Being a router, i.e. a machine that plugs into two networks
(one of which may be a modem) and lets network data flow through
from one to the other.

This is built in to the very Linux kernel itself, it is simply a
matter of turning it on with the following one-line command
(after everything else is set up...):

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

B. Using Linux to make machines on your network access the
Internet as if they were just a single machine.  This is called
IP-Masquerading and is also part of the Linux kernel itself, but
you net the ipchains tool to configure it.  Search www.linux.org
for Masquerading for some excellent tutorials.

C. Being a server answering things like ftp, telnet or http (web
server) Each of these is a separate .deb, and for some you have
more than one choice e.g.

telnetd-ssl.deb
wu-ftpd.deb
apache-ssl.deb
dhcp*.deb
etc.

Most of these are listed in dselect under the category "net",
there is a lot to choose from and you definitely don't want
everything.

D. Telling other machines that your machine is a server or
router etc.  This typically means running a DHCP server (on
Debian or elsewhere) pointing to a DNS server (on Debian or
elsewhere) pointing to the Debian machine.

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant wordings,
do not consider it a binding commitment, even if its phrasing may