Re: APCUPSD doesn't shutdown machine

Lindsay Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Dean A. Roman wrote:
>
> > >I've had a similar problem. Switched to nut, and that seems to be
> > >working just fine for me. I have a Smart-UPS 620 with smart cable.
> >
> > I haven't received any reply from the apcupsd debian developer.
> > Does anyone know if he still works on this package?
> > I also haven't found anyone using Debian that has this package working.
> > Was it ever tested to work with Debian?
> >
> > I'll try nut and see what happens.
>
> APCUPSD gave me the same problem - it failed to shutdown the box though
> the log had an entry saying that it was being shut down.
>
> So I tried nut but got nowhere with that either.  There were several
> problems including one about not running even as root, which is Q1 in the
> FAQ.  Is it not the maintainer's job to make it work?  There was also a
> major issue about the config as the docs mentioned a config file which is
> not in the package.  I forget the details and that computer is out of
> service for a while so I can't look it up.
>
> We really need a debian-UPS list for while so that we can co-ordinate
> effort on this matter.
>
> Cheers,
> Lindsay
> ---

Hello all,

  I just wanted to report back that I finally got APCUPSD working on my Debian
woody machine with a APC SmartUPS 700 UPS.  The maintainers of apcupsd have a
pretty good web site also(www.apcupsd.org) with instructions, downloadable code,
mail archives, etc.

 I have been emailing Kern Sibbald and the apcupsd mail list about the problems
with this package under Debian and he suggested I download the source, then
compile it from scratch.  Turns out to be a very clean install and compile.  The
configure file is setup to install cleanly under Debian and recognizes Debian
automagically.
10 minutes after following the instructions, I had apcupsd up and running, then
shutting down my machine.  5 more minutes and I had it configured in network
mode and had it shutdown 2 machines.

If we could get the Debian maintainer of this package to build it with the
correct options, I think this package would turn out to be very useful for a lot
of people.

Thanks,
   ---Dean Roman.

begin:vcard
n:Roman;Dean
tel;work:707-527-8949
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Roman Systems
adr:;;2116 Crosspoint Ave.;Santa Rosa;California;95403;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:droman@chattycow.com
title:Owner
x-mozilla-cpt:;-31008