*Working* Modem problems

This isn't really a debian problem, but a general Linux problem.  Anyway, I
have an internal 56k ISA *jumpered* (not the most common things these days)
modem.  For simplicity, I disabled the first serial port on my mother board,
and set the modem to live it's space (I'm just use to pointing to
/dev/ttyS0, I always used external modems up until I bought this modem).
Well it works fine on the first dial (after a reboot or cold start), but
after I disconnect I can't reconnect unless I start a new connection, stop
it, then start it again.  When I refer to connecting I'm talking about ppp.
I'm running potato with the 2.4 package updates the 2.4.5 kernel, and the
basic pon/poff uitilites.

The reason this is a real problem is I just set up masqdial, and of course
it's hard to explain to my family members whey they have to start the
connection, stop it, then start it again to get on the internet.

It's also interesting to note that the modem works fine under W2k.  Oh, and
I thought that that it could have been pppd not correctly telling my modem
to disconnect, so I tried echoing "ATH0" to the device after the connection
was brought down, which didn't help...

Any ideas?

Matthew Kopishke
mfk@BlueNoteTechnology.com