Attempted to kill init

Okay, I have two debian machines, Delirium and Sacrifice, networking nicely, and running in a way that I find useful.

Sacrifice has just received a gift of a new CD-R, and so I need to compile a new kernel to support it.

I've compiled the newest kernel, 2.4.9 (Actually, I tried this for 2.4.6 too, but didn't have the time to fight with it then. Same result then) in the same way I've always done it for Delirium, using the Debian Kernel-package tools (Which make life *much* easier than it ever was under Mandrake, but I digress). And I've compiled and installed the package, and it's booting from the new vmlinuz, which is in /boot/, the same as the old 2.2.17 was.

However.

Every time I boot into the new kernel, it gets as far as running the autodetect on the IDE chain (Which it does sucessfully) and then says:

invalid operand 0000

(Whole string of hex and other associated stuff, see below)

Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init.

I'd quote you the entire message, but it doesn't seem to be logged anywhere (The drives aren't mounted yet, I assume, so it isn't logging, but feel free to prove me wrong).

Can anyone help solve this problem, or tell me how I can provide the list with the information that would mean someone can?

--
Nick Avenell
http://www.aquarionics.com