Unable to start X

I just did a fresh reinstall of potato, then upgraded to woody. I
didn't have a working X configuration, just changed my sources list
and did dist-upgrade.

Now when I try to connect to X my screen hangs with a little white
space at the top and then gives me the error message:
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
I checked the error messages in /var/log/xf86 and it suggested running
mkfontdir in 3 different directories, which I did. Still didn't work.
I tried changing the font path in XF86Config-4 as suggested here in
the list and that didn't help.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
dale