Re: decompress tgz

> What is tgz and how do you decompress it ?
>
> I undertand for gzip it is gunzip , for tar it i tar xvf

It's a file who's contents have first been 'tar'd up into one
file. Then, that one file is compressed. It's probably more
often called a *.tar.gz file, in case you've seen those
before.

You can either 'unzip' or 'gunzip' it which will leave you
with a *.tar file. Then un-tar it.

Since the 'tar' command understands gzip, the simpler way may
be to 'tar xfzv' the file. This will gunzip it and then un-tar
it in one command.

Hall