Upgrade report

Hi all-

Just some notes on a recent upgrade from stable to
testing on a box with the Ivan Moore II KDE packages.
Since the packages are not a part of the official Potato
version, I was unsure of how the upgrade would
proceed.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook with the
1400x1040 display.

As expected, apt-get dist-upgrade has to be run several
times.  All the KDE packages are held back the first
time.

After a clean run through dist-upgrade, I tried to launch
kdm.  This failed because kdm was gone.

Okay, install kdm.  This also installs kdebase
although I thought it was already there.

But still no luck starting the kdm .  Turns out XFree86
is still in version 3 and my weird configuration ( for the
Dell display ) has been replaced with a default one.

For some reason, offhandedly, I run dist-upgrade again.
XFree86 version 4 starts coming down.  I choose the
new XFree86 server but decline to setup since my
resolution is not supported by the package install
scripts.

I run XFree86 -configure and get a new configuration
file.  All video and LCD setup is magically generated
for my weird hardware (that is really cool).  But upon
testing the server, mouse is frozen.

After some playing, I discover that I have to remove
gpm (bummer, it used to work with X no problem, I
just used /dev/gpmdata for my mouse device) AND
I have to specify the PS/2 protocol (-configure set it
up for a serial device).  I resolve to figure out the
gpm problem someday.

OK, X server works.  I replace X config file, make
sure Xserver and /etc/X11/X are pointing to the
right place (Q: are both necessary?  Why do we list
the server in Xserver AND link X to it?) and start kdm.
Bingo.

Observation:  KDE is still version 2.1 (I thought it
would be 2.2),  but everything seems much faster.

Observation: The vertical bars on the panel that
 seperate the applets are now vertical rows of dots.
I don't think that's right. The vertical bars are still
there on application tool panels.