Re: Linux server as gateway

Hi,

re. using a Linux box as gateway from a LAN to the Internet:

Once you have set up your Internet connection as the default route on the
Linux box.  You don't say whether you have done this already, or what
type of connection you have, so I can't help on this step.

Once the default route to the Internet is set up, all you need to do is
install the Debian package ipmasq.

apt-get install ipmasq

It takes care of all the IP forwarding, masquerading and packet-filter
firewalling automagically, and also recalculates everything every time a
dynamic IP address changes, if you're using PPP (which you almost
certainly are/will be if you're dialling up with a dynamic IP address).

Make sure the following options are set in the "Networking options"
section of the kernel configuration.  If they're not, enable them, and
compile and install a new kernel image.

Network firewalls (CONFIG_FIREWALL)
IP: firewalling (CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL)
IP: masquerading (CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE)

Best regards,

George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel:   +35 79 68 08 86                   Strovolos,
email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,
web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus