Re: Tar's won't untar ever now in potatoe

Eric Whitestone wrote:

>         I've been downloading lots of tar files with ncftp and mozilla (which im trying to get rid of by downloading netscape), but when i try to untar /gzip them, it tells me :
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> tar: Child returned status 1

Make sure they're not being transparently gunzipped by the ftp client. I
know netscape sometimes does this. The 'file' program (apt-get install
file) will tell you what type of file it is; if it's a tar not a gzip
file then you can just rename it to get rid of the .gz extension and
untar it.

HTH,

Richard