Re: Can the scsi emulation kill the hard drive?

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 12:23:31PM +0200, Timeboy wrote:

> On Saturday Sep 08 23:22 Herbert Pirke wrote:
>
> > ** I had a similar problem with my debian box a few weeks
> > ** ago. Unfortunately I forgot the exact message, but
> > ** there were some unreadable files in /var again. This
> > ** was just after installing the SCSI emulation for my
> > ** ATAPI-burner.
> > **
> > ** Was that just a coincidence or can the SCSI emulation
> > ** be responsible for this?
>
> Don't know if the SCSI emulation is the reason for this. But your
> experience sounds if it is. Is your SCSI emulation installed
> correct? If you use IDE hard discs you have to disable SCSI disk
> support. SCSI support, SCSI CD-Rom support and SCSI generic
> support are the three things that have to be anabled in kernel
> configuration if you only have IDE drives.

I have all IDE drives, except for my Parallel zip drive which is kind of
a scsi device.  I have scsi disk support (for the zip drive), plus all
the other stuff for scsi-ide burner emulation, and it lives together
happily . . . so far ;-)

In my lilo.conf I have append="hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi" where they are
cdrom and cd-burner, but I don't do that with hda hard drive.  I suppose
if you have scsi emulation on your hard drive, that might not be a good
thing?

Otherwise I suspect the scsi emulation isn't the cause of your problem.

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard