RE: Don't understand Unix timestamps

On 13-Sep-2001 Chris Kenrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a bit confused about Unix timestamps on files.  In
> particular, I want to know what the timestamp on an
> 'ls -l' or a 'find . -ls' means.

$ ls -l test.py
-rw-r--r--    1 shaleh   users         131 Sep 12 13:10 test.py

This is referred to in UNIX docs as "mtime" which standards for "last
modified".  This is either the creation date or the time it was last changed,
whichever is newer.

> On a different but related note, what is the easiest
> combination of commands to find
>
> A) A list of files in a given directory that have been
> accessed in the last 24 hours

This is called 'atime'.  The 'find' command has an atime option.
>From man page:
 -atime n
        File was last accessed n*24 hours ago.
i.e. n == days.

> B) The total disk usage by the given file list A)

find also has a size option.